How to get rid of lag on your Minecraft server.
Reasons for lag:
- Too many players and not enough RAM.
- Too many mobs/items and not enough RAM.
- You are too far away from where your server's machine is based.
- Too many worlds running on your server without sufficient RAM.
- Errors are spamming in your console.
- Too many plugins running on your server and not enough RAM.
Things to do first:
Always, check for console errors before submitting a ticket.
Most are easily solved with a Google search and you should get into the habit of fixing your own server.
1. Check if you have any errors in your console. If you see any "SEVERE" errors this maybe be the cause of your lag.
2. Try and troubleshoot these errors. Google is your friend and we have a knowledgebase full of guides.
If you see "End of Stream" with a "SEVERE" tag, do not be alarmed. Unless this is spamming in your console this it not an issue.
Reduce Your View Distance
We recommend that you reduce the view distance of your server from the default 10 to a value between 6-8. This can be edited through your server.properties file, accessible via the FTP File Access section of your multicraft panel.
This plugin is effective, well configured and is recommended for any server.
ClearLag can be found on Bukkit here.
A guide on installing plugins can be found here.
1. Once you have ClearLag installed you can run the command "lagg check" to see how many entities you have on your server
2. If you are running a small server anything over the value "500" may possibly be the reason for your lag.
3. If you do have a high number of entities, run the command "lagg clear" and "lagg killmobs". This will remove the lag causing entities from your server i.e. items on the ground and mobs.
If you want to check your latency with a server just log onto Minecraft and add the server you want to test to your list of servers.
When it's added there will be a small icon in the top right on the server field just above the amount of slots the server holds.
If you hover the icon it will tell you the ping of the server.
Fast Ping: <100ms
Medium Ping: 100-250ms
Slow Ping: 250-500ms
Laggy Ping: >500ms
Latency lag is when you are too far away from your server so the connection is slightly delayed.
Our servers are located in:
• United States
If you see that any of our server locations are closer to you than your current server's location, submit a ticket here and request a transfer free of charge.
The more players and plugins you have the more RAM you will need.
If you have lots of plugins and not a lot of RAM you will overload your server causing it to have lag spikes and/or crash.
The best thing to do it limit the amount of plugins you require to run your server.
If you still want the same plugins and you have tried our other suggestions consider upgrading to a more powerful hosting solution.